Friday, September 19, 2008

In the beginning...


Since announcing our intent to move to Kenya we have had many people ask the question, "How did this all come about?" Well...you asked for it! The idea of missions was first brought up to us about 13 yrs ago. We took a test that was designed to evaluate the area of ministry that we would be most suited to serve in. When our test was evaluated, they told us that our number one "area of giftedness" was missions. Howie and I immediately responded with, "No way!" or "Forget it!" I told the class leader that there was no chance that I would move to some "weird country" and eat their "weird food" and laughed in his face. Looking back, I think that God must have been laughing harder!
Two years ago, we began the long process of adopting two children from Ethiopia. As we spent time going through the steps, we met many people, one who runs an adoption agency in Spokane. As it turned out, we didn't adopt. We were a little confused because we had really felt that we were supposed to, but God had a plan. While attending the International Convention for Open Bible, I heard a man speak about his mission in Kenya. He was issuing a plea for prayer and support for their new orphanage. They were trying to establish a home for children who live and sleep on the streets in their city. I felt like I was supposed to help connect him to the adoption agency here. I gave him my email and told him that I would try to help him contact her. To my dismay, it wasn't that easy. The laws for adoption in Kenya make it very difficult for international adoptions.
I started to question my ability to hear God at all. First, the adoption for us and then the whole thing with Patrick! I felt very foolish but it was all part of a bigger plan. We have not only kept in contact with Patrick and his wife Alice, but have also heard their heart for Kenya. It is a heart that we now share. Now we are not only willing, but excited to go to this "weird country" and eat their "weird food". As a matter of fact I cooked a Kenyan meal last night! I think that God is smiling (if not chuckling). Could He lead us somewhere else from here; to another unexpected turn? Absolutely! We look forward to it and trust that He has a wonderful plan for us!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home